My middle-school Sunday School class and I are having fun looking at what we believe. Recently, we have focused on the Bible, the word of God. It’s been fun with the class to talk about various facts about the Bible.
- The Bible starts with the beginning of the world and ends with God completing the actions on this world and establishing His new and perfect kingdom. It really is the best A-to-Z book
- The Bible is the oldest book on earth.
- It is still the world’s best seller.
- It has been translated into more languages than any other book.
- The Bible contains action stories, history, philosophy, poetry, war stories, love stories, wisdom literature, predictions and amazing truths. It is God’s word to mankind.
- And, oddly enough, it is reported that the Bible is the most often shoplifted book. Interesting!
A little over a year ago, John and I bought two special chronological study Bibles. Reading together we will complete our study for 2015 tomorrow. And, because there is so much information that we want to learn, we have decided that we are going to read the same book together in 2016. For several years, we have read the Bible together, a little each day, and have not gotten bored with it at all! I started reading the Bible every year many years ago and it amazes me how much I learn each time.
Recently, we heard a Pastor describe a program that their church is doing as a group; they will be reading the entire New Testament during 2016. It’s a great idea and I am excited to see how that corporate activity will change the people and the congregation.
If you haven’t ever taken on a Bible reading program, maybe 2016 would be a good year to start. You don’t have to read the whole Bible this year; maybe just part of it would be a great way to start. And, in this day of technology, you don’t even have to purchase a book.
The site, http://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-reading-plan/, has a variety of programs that might interest you. For instance, the “busy life plan” lets you tailor your reading time to your schedule. And, the “stay-on-track plan” has a built in system to catch up when you fall behind. For my Catholic friends, http://catholicbibleinayear.org/daily-scripture-reading-schedule/ is a great resource.
It’s a good idea, to read the oldest and most read book ever written. And, by reading it, I am growing to understand more and more why it is the “word of God.”
Try it. You’ll love it.
Jill (just one of God’s kids)